Thursday, February 21, 2013

Quilting - Montana Style

Carolyn accompanied her husband on an annual hunting trip to Montana. They took their trailer and while the "boys" were out hunting (read "freezing their butts off) in the snow, she stayed in their nice, cozy trailer and put this top together.
I really wanted to do something to accent the off-center motif and lead your eye around and and around--does that make sense? Unfortunately, I was at a total loss. I loaded the quilt, and worked on the border--notice the triangular feather motif to go with the interior pattern (sorry for the poor photo quality)--but then I was stumped. I started doing a fancy continuous curve in the blocks and then went to bed.  I don't know about you, but some of my best quilting ideas come as I'm just waking up in the morning. This morning was no exception.

After spending the next TWO days unsewing all the sewing I'd done (why does it take so much longer to take stitches out than to put them in???), I started on my "morning foggy idea." It took walking away from the quilt to really "see" the angles and how they worked. I kept trying to put the half-square triangles into the same "row," but that's not the way this one works. Once that was determined, I quilted feathers in a continuous angle to follow the piecing and then did SID outlining each row.

I'm sorry the photos aren't better, but cream colored thread on a cream/black quilt really doesn't stand out much. If you've been following my blog, you'll note that I rarely do thread that jumps out as I want the piecing to take center stage.

Thanks for stopping by!




1 comment:

  1. Cool! I like that a lot. Isn't it funny how the brain works? A lot of times it comes to me in the shower how to solve something. (Of course that's what it takes to finally wake up.LOL)Sara

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving your comments! I love hearing what you have to say and I appreciate your taking the time to make your comments. Due to the amount of spam I've been receiving, please note that I will no longer be taking comments from "Anonymous." I'm so sorry for the inconvenience.