Monday, February 18, 2019

Sewology for Christmas

I have two sisters, one of which is a quilter. We often get together at least once a year for some quilting and quilt shop shopping. This year I decided to surprise her at Christmas with a quilt. Of course, I decided this in October--I work better under pressure. *grin

I was surfing around on the internet and came across the Sewology BOM; however, lucky for me, all the blocks had already been released. I printed the pattern and to make finishing this by Christmas even more challenging, I decided to make two! One for my sis to have for her "quilting condo" and one for my sewing room.

I did some searching on the Internet to see what fabric combos others had used and opted for Grunge fabrics for mine. It was really fun to put together, although it was absolutely HUGE by the time I was done. I did do a bit of "fudging"; the word "Buttons" on the button card were supposed to be applique. I do not applique. But I have a husband with a professional embroidery machine and he embroidered "Buttons" for me.

Also, the "thread" in the needle was supposed to be some sort of piping? I wasn't sure what to do with that, so I just "quilted" thread.  It worked...sort of. I loved  how the iron turned out; I even have an antique one that is very similar to this one.






Can you spot the mistake in my quilting here? Have a good look at the sewing machine above and the back of it below. I'm hoping it takes you awhile. My sis hasn't mentioned a thing...so far!
Here are a few more pics of the back:

 Why is it you can look at something a million times and not see it until you've packaged it up and sent it off.  Yep--I missed a spot. Can you see it? Upper left button--I missed a bit of SID in the orange.

And here's a pic of the whole back:
Lessons learned from this quilt? There were a few. The main one being that when I quilt mine, I will not do a gridded background. Marking it took forever!!!! However, for the most part, it was a really fun quilt to put together and to quilt. I'm liking quilting for myself--it does take the pressure off.

Thanks for looking! (I'll post mine when its finally quilted)

Dory

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving your comments! I love hearing what you have to say and I appreciate your taking the time to make your comments. Due to the amount of spam I've been receiving, please note that I will no longer be taking comments from "Anonymous." I'm so sorry for the inconvenience.