Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Before & After

When I picked up Jennifer's quilt last month, she had this adorable quilt on her wall. I commented on how cute it was and she told me that her sister had made this shortly before she was taken ill. Jennifer finished it and had it quilted before she passed, so it has a special place in her heart and on her wall.


But then Jennifer posed the dreaded question. She told me she'd taken the quilt to a longarmer with a computer and she asked whether I felt that quilter had done enough quilting. In my opinion, she hadn't, but I wasn't willing to criticize another quilter who had obviously taken a lot of time on this quilt. As you can see, she quilted in the border and in the center sashing. She then went on to stitch in the ditch everywhere and around the birds as well.

My response to Jennifer was that had it been me, I would have done more quilting in the background around the birds and something in the red sashing as well as the pinwheel and 9-patch blocks; and I wouldn't have done any SID. Jennifer brought the quilt to me when she picked up her last one.

This is a close-up of how it originally looked (click on the pic for a true "close-up"):


And this is how it looked when it left my studio:


I really felt the quilt needed these whimsical touches. What do you think??

Dory

4 comments:

  1. the additional quilting is great. Another LA-er told me when I started if I was in doubt about whether to quilt more or less; more is usually the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I think it looks better. Sara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks everyone! This was a really fun quilt for me. Joyce in SC...were we at Asilomar together?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving your comments! I love hearing what you have to say and I appreciate your taking the time to make your comments. Due to the amount of spam I've been receiving, please note that I will no longer be taking comments from "Anonymous." I'm so sorry for the inconvenience.