Monday, November 14, 2011

HEAL Africa

Several months ago, Barbara told me a story about a friend who had spent some time with her and was now in the Congo in Africa helping women. Lyn Lusi co-founded HEAL Africa, an organization that partners with communities to transform the status of women. Barbara was asked to make these two quilts to hang in the hospital there using the fabric that Lyn acquired for her in the Congo. I was very pleased that she trusted me to quilt them for her.

This is the first quilt Barbara finished for them. 


My goal was to keep the quilting subtle. I quilted circles in the outer border and also around the fussy-cut circle in the main "arrow" piece. The background and sashing are both done in a heatwave pattern, with continuous curve in the arrow, itself.


This shot of the back shows more of the quilting.



And this was the second quilt; I really had fun with this one. 


The outside border was quite busy so I just did a meander (no matter what I did, I couldn't get the lighting right...its a wonder I didn't go blind stitching this border!!) and carried the meander into the background of the blocks. Barbara wanted a simple continuous curve in the baskets and in the flowers with a "stem" connecting them. I also did a cc in the sashing.


A pic of the back to show the detail:




Another of the back showing the basket detail.












It was an honor to do these quilts for Barbara.

Dory

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving your comments! I love hearing what you have to say and I appreciate your taking the time to make your comments. Due to the amount of spam I've been receiving, please note that I will no longer be taking comments from "Anonymous." I'm so sorry for the inconvenience.