Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Mystery Quilting Project Finished!

I did it!! I finished this a few days ago; of course, there's no binding, but that doesn't really count, right??
Cindy Roth, Longarm University, does a mystery quilting class on New Year's Day. This is the first time I've ever had mine pieced and ready to go. Well, I was a bit late, but I still got started on it on New Year's Day. I was very interested to see the techniques she'd use for quilting an art quilt. I've never made one, nor have I ever quilted one.  Granted, this wasn't the most involved art quilt, but for a first time effort, I think it turned out okay. 

The house was one of my favorite parts to quilt. Getting to the house took awhile, as we quilted the border, the interior of the stars and the sky first. I love how it turned out. 

I've quilted trees before, but never like this. Here's a pic of the back to really show how the quilting went. It was almost like thread painting...well, almost!



I loved the effect of the hilly terrain and the tufts of grass; what I didn't love was my thread choice. I think I should have chosen a more subtle color. We actually used two colors of thread in this area. I chose a variegated Lava (Superior) green and a variegated Lava gold. I think the gold should have been darker.


The last step of the quilting was embellishing. I couched (for the first time ever) yarn to the "terrain" in the grassy area. It gives it some depth I liked that effect. Then we couched white fluffy yarn to the trees and house to look like snow. It works, if you really squint. Finally we added the rays coming off the stars and the smoke coming from the chimney.

All in all a fun project that I'm glad I did. Here's a final pic of the entire back:


This was fun! I hope to participate again next year. I've already incorporated bits of the border quilting into the customer quilt that's on my frame now.







2 comments:

  1. Nice job, Dorothy. Looks like you had a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a fun and skill stretching experience. Really good job! Sara

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving your comments! I love hearing what you have to say and I appreciate your taking the time to make your comments. Due to the amount of spam I've been receiving, please note that I will no longer be taking comments from "Anonymous." I'm so sorry for the inconvenience.