Thursday, September 5, 2013

I Made a Basket!

Yep....I made a basket from clothesline cord. One thing really cool about living in Washington is the variety of teachers that visit our guild.  Ami Simms was here so I took advantage of that and made this beautiful lime green basket. (Okay, maybe its not "beautiful," but I like it!)


The basket was basically started and finished in one day! You begin with clothesline cord that you unwrap so that it will go smoothly, without twists.



You then cut whatever fabric you're using on the bias, run a bead of glue along the cord and begin wrapping. At the end of each strip you overlap a bit and tuck it in, but it doesn't have to be perfect. This is how it looks as you start wrapping. Ami has this new cool tool (of course, I had to have one) that allows you to wrap the cord more easily. Its called a "powerwrapper." Click HERE to see it in action.



As you begin to sew, using a zig-zag stitch, the base of the basket grows and grows

  
When the base is as big as you want it, you start turning it to create the sides: 


and wala...you have a basket!!

One of the very best things about Ami is her sense of humor. She had us in hysterics when she lectured at the guild. She's a great person--take a class from her if you get the chance. You won't be sorry!

2 comments:

  1. I love your basket!!! That is a pretty green, if you ask me. I am so jealous! Ami Simms really does have a great sense of humor, how else could she come up with the Ugly Quilt Contest?? (Which I might add, I did not win! LOL) Sara @ohsirius7@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sara, I can't imagine your making an ugly quilt!! Ami is a crack up and her class was so much fun.

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving your comments! I love hearing what you have to say and I appreciate your taking the time to make your comments. Due to the amount of spam I've been receiving, please note that I will no longer be taking comments from "Anonymous." I'm so sorry for the inconvenience.