Friday, February 21, 2014

The Tevis T-Shirt Quilt

Many of you know that my first love is my horses (not sure how to make that sentence grammatically correct). Last year there was a big fire that ruined part of the Tevis Trail--the famous 100 mile trail from Lake Tahoe to Auburn, California. I completed that ride on my mare, Elly, in 2005. The fire damaged part of the trail and the Western States Trail Foundation is working to get it back in shape for this year's running of the Tevis.

I wanted to do something to help, but since I live so far away, volunteering to be on the work crew wasn't an option. Instead, I contacted the Foundation and told them if they could get me Tevis t-shirts, I'd make a quilt and donate it to be raffled to help raise money for trail restoration.

This is what I sent to them just last week...


As you can see, I don't do T-shirt quilts the "normal" way. I like each t-shirt design to fill the entire t-shirt square. My pet peeve is a huge expanse of t-shirt material with a tiny logo. I know its easier that way, but I just don't like it. This quilt was challenging since all the blocks were either 12x12, 12x16, 8x12 or 12x8; thus the fill in with Laurel Burch Mythical Horses fabric. 

This is a shot of the label that Dennis made for the back. I wanted to get everyone's name on there that contributed shirts--especially since they didn't get them back!


Thanks for stopping by...

Dory



1 comment:

  1. Dory, that is so cool! What a great quilt, I hope that it brings in lots of dollars. So sorry to hear about the fire. I have known about the ride for a long time. but once I got a horse again, we were both too old to try that. Congratulations for being brave enough to do it!!! I love how you did the t-shirts, and the label is great too. Would mine help the cause? Sending hugs and congratulations on another great finish! Sara

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving your comments! I love hearing what you have to say and I appreciate your taking the time to make your comments. Due to the amount of spam I've been receiving, please note that I will no longer be taking comments from "Anonymous." I'm so sorry for the inconvenience.