Thursday, February 22, 2018

Joyce's Mariner's Compass

If you've seen Judy Niemeyer's patterns, you've seen this quilt. But this wasn't a kit, Joyce chose these fabrics and then did a terrific job piecing this quilt. It was stunning in person and I wanted to do lots of quilting on it to show off the piecing.

Here's a shot of the whole thing...

When Joyce sent it, she told me that she chose the lighter blue areas specifically for my quilting. No pressure there, right??? Because I wanted those areas to be special, I completed the entire quilt before even starting in those triangles!

Here's a pic of the center...
 And the bit directly out from the center...mostly McTavishing and Ribbon Candy in the orange.
This is the back of the quilt, but you can see what I did in those long, outer sharp points.

And now to the inner triangle, light blue areas. I decided to echo the design, itself, by quilting a section of the compass in each triangle. It was time consuming, but so worth it when it was finished. This is the top:
 And this is the back...
Here are a few more shots of the back, just for good measure.

When I was finished with this one, I couldn't wait for Joyce to see it. She lives on the east coast though, so I was on pins and needles until it was delivered. She loved it and said that it got a second at her quilt show! Hooray!!

Dory

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving your comments! I love hearing what you have to say and I appreciate your taking the time to make your comments. Due to the amount of spam I've been receiving, please note that I will no longer be taking comments from "Anonymous." I'm so sorry for the inconvenience.